Monday, April 20, 2015

Balboa Park Sketchcrawl


The sketchcrawl group met today at the Rose Garden in Balboa Park. The center of the pergola has some beautiful Clivias blooming, so I sketched them instead of roses (go figure).

Then I wandered around the park for a while. The baby koi in the lily pond are growing really fast. These all are around 5 to 7 inches long, and there were quite a few more in other parts of the pond.
The guy with the snakes was there taking them for a walk. :-) He had one large python, a medium python, and an albino Colombian Red-Tail Boa, which I got to hold for a while.
He was pretty active at first, wiggling all around. He climbed up my arm, over my shoulder and started going down my back inside my shirt! I put a stop to that! After a while, he calmed down, wrapped around my arm and just chilled out.
I recently purchased a Balboa Park Explorer Pass that gets me into any of the museums. I've visited a few, but since I had my sketch things today, I went to the San Diego History Center, where they have a delightful exhibit dedicated to Dr. Seuss. The funniest part is the "Unorthodox Taxidermy" animals that are hysterical.

I had to sketch this "Flaming Herring".

I also like the Mulberry Street Unicorn. I didn't get good pictures of the others, but they are all great, with wonderful expressions.

-----
Go make art!

No comments:

Post a Comment